Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Proof of Love

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. 

But the greatest of these is love.  


For as long as I can remember 1 Corinthians 13:13 has been my favorite verse.  I know it seems so cliche, but it has been.  Something about having to have faith, and hope to get through life but meaning nothing without love has always spoken to me.

As I pondered on my new reality today.  I just kept relaying the facts through my mind.
My son was diagnosed with a random neural tube defect.
I couldn't have done anything about it.
I carried him, his entire life.
We chose to carry him.
Well it wasn't a choice, he was life, and we wanted his life.
I got 12 amazing and excruciating extra weeks with him.
He lived for 32 weeks.
He died on February 13th.
I delivered him on February 14th.
My son is dead.
He is gone.

The facts just kept replaying over and over in my mind.  Then Rod's words, over and over, on our way home.  "God knew what he was doing, and he showed us true love," (referring to me asking of all day's Valentines Day).  Tristan is the very essence of love.  Our journey is the very story of love.  Our son's life is proof of love.  Not only the love parents have for a child, but love for life, love for each other, love for family, love for our friends, and love for our Lord and Savior.  Tristan was born on February 14th.  The day we see as a day for love.  He was born on the day, that God could send a clear precise message.

But the Greatest of these is Love.

The Love a parent has to choose to carry a child knowing that child will not survive outside the womb. That is love.

The Love two people have for each other, to hold each other up as they both fall to their knees in despair, to hold each other's hands through the hardest of times, and not turn away.
That is love.

The Love a family has in supporting each other, crying with each other, and celebrating the brief life of a precious child.
That is love.

The Love of friends, that call and text, just to see how you are handling the day, or standing  by your bed side as you give birth to a silent child, or support you as you cry for what never will be.
That is love.

The Love only a gracious and merciful God can give.  One so powerful that comfort over powers your grief, as you kneel and sing to your child one last time or gives you strength as you carry him one last time. A love so powerful, that he gave up his son.  He sent his son to DIE, so I have the opportunity to see mine again.
That is love.

Tristan, was born on the day of love, because he is proof of love.

And now these three remain: Faith, Hope, and Love.  But the Greatest of these is Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment